MetroLines 2018 Poetry Contest
MetroLines, sponsored by Metro Arts in Transit, is a poetry contest open to residents of all ages living within a 50-mile radius of the city of St. Louis. Up to 15 poems will be selected for publication and will be reproduced on posters that will include visual imagery created by Metro Arts in Transit designers. The posters will be displayed on MetroLink trains and Metro buses for up to one year.The winners will each receive a $100 award, a poster featuring their poem, and will be invited to read at a ceremony in the fall. Posters of the published poems will be offered for sale through Metro retail outlets with all proceeds going to Arts in Transit, Inc., a non-profit organization providing support for Metro’s art programs.A committee of literary professionals from the St. Louis region will serve as judges.Eligibility:
MetroLines is open to people of all ages. Both published and unpublished work will be accepted. Entrants must reside within a 50-mile radius of the city of St. Louis and must provide a valid address.
Submission Guidelines (Please Read Carefully):
Submissions are open May 10 to July 6, 2018
- All submissions should be sent via Submittable. No hard copy or emailed submissions will be accepted.
- Send up to three poems per submission.
- Poems cannot be longer than 15 lines (stanza breaks count as one line).
- Please include all poems in a single document with only one poem per page. Poems are judged blind, so do not include your name or contact information in this document or in the file name.
- If the author of the poems is younger than 18 years old, the author’s parent or guardian must check the appropriate permission box on Submittable.
- Previously published poems will be accepted provided the author has rights to the submitted poems and properly credits the original publication.
- Any poem submitted must be suitable for public display, to be determined at the sole discretion of Metro Arts in Transit.
- Metro employees are not eligible to enter the contest.
Please note that if the Eligibility or Submission Guidelines are not followed, the poem will be disqualified.
- You will receive a confirmation email after you submit. If you do not receive one, please check your spam folder. No calls please.
- The list of winners will be released to the public and listed on the Arts in Transit website at www.artsintransit.org in August. All entrants will be notified of the results by email.
Sponsored by Metro Arts in Transit with financial support from the Regional Arts Commission and the Missouri Arts Council.
Look out for our next open call for artwork in 2018.
Inquire about an ArtBus at your event or ArtBus partnerships?
Contact David Allen (314) 982.1412 or dmallen@BiStateDev.org