MetroScapes 2018 – Call to Artists
Artwork Image Competition: $1,000 Use Fee Paid to Artists
Deadline Friday, September 21, 2018, by 11:59 pm
Up to ten two-dimensional images will be selected for reproduction as large-scale posters that will be installed in more than 200 bus shelters throughout the St. Louis Region.
Local artists (residing within 50 miles of the City of St. Louis) are invited to submit up to three images for consideration. The bus shelter posters will be 69” x 48” in size and will be displayed for one year at various locations. The images will also be produced in a 30” x 24” (vertical) poster format as a limited edition of 20 prints offered for individual sale to support Metro Arts in Transit, Inc., a not-for- profit 501(c)(3).
Each artist will receive three copies of the limited edition poster and be paid $1,000 for use of their original image. Original artworks should have been created within the last three years.
Images derived through two-dimensional media will be considered, including but not limited to: photography, painting, printmaking, illustration, collage and computer-generated graphics.
Submission Guidelines, Please Read Carefully:
Submissions Now Open
- All submissions should be sent via Submittable. No hard copy or emailed submissions will be accepted.
- Send up to three high-resolution (minimum 300 dpi) images in one submission. Keep in mind the selected images will be blown up to almost 6’ x 4’.
- Images should not exceed 400 MB in size.
- Please include all images in a single submission. Images are juried blind by the selection panel so please do not include your name or contact information with the images or in the file name.
- In the Artwork Statement field, please enter the title of the work(s), date the work was completed, medium of the work, and a very short statement of the work (this statement will be included on Shelter Posters).
- If the author of the images is younger than 18 years old, the author’s parent or guardian must check the appropriate permission box on Submittable.
- Any image submitted must be suitable for public display, to be determined at the sole discretion of Metro Arts in Transit.
- Bi-State Development and Metro employees are not eligible to enter the contest.
Please note that if the Eligibility or Submission Guidelines are not followed, the entry will be disqualified.
The deadline for receipt of submissions is Friday, September 21, 2018, by 11:59 p.m.
Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of artists/art professionals who will recommend up to ten images. The criteria for selection is:
- Quality of the work
- Appropriateness for public display
- Intriguing, thought provoking, inspiring, entertaining, or have an enduring image/content
- Image clarity
Artists whose work is selected for reproduction/publication will be required to enter into a letter of agreement with Arts in Transit, Inc., for the limited copyright use of the image for public display in bus shelters for up to one year, rights to the image for reproduction in a limited edition of twenty prints, and attest that the artist is the sole creator of the work.
In addition to the selected image, each poster will include the artwork’s title, the name of the artist, and a brief statement from the artist. Credits on the poster will also include: MetroScapes Metro Arts in Transit, and financial supporters PNC Bank and the Saint Louis Regional Arts Commission.
Selected images will be announced on our website www.artsintransit.org in October.
Sponsored by Metro Arts in Transit with financial support from the Regional Arts Commission and the Missouri Arts Council.
Look out for our next open call for entries in 2019.
Inquire about an ArtBus at your event or ArtBus partnerships?
Contact David Allen (314) 982.1412 or dmallen@BiStateDev.org